[eDebate] The CSIS Debaters Who Blog

JP Lacy lacyjp
Thu Sep 10 00:34:40 CDT 2009

Not really disagreeing:

Have you read their stuff? It makes more sense than the NYT, LAT, WP or
"major news magazines" do.  I don't know if they make better arguments
than "experts." But, I see a lot less overreaching, a lot more good
arguments & a lot more documentation than the usual blog, or even news
feed would contain.

Given almost equally good arguments, expertise or "authority" does come
into play.

But, you can't ignore reality when an academic expert has been beaten,
whether in "print" or in an un-evidenced speech delivered by a debater.

If someone makes an argument with limited warrants, debaters should be
able to dissect & refute it...especially if the argument is wrong. Who
cares about the authors qualifications?

Its hard to make "analytics" count as much as a card but, that is part
of the game.

I hope we can teach debaters how to beat a bad argument quoted from the
most qualified source imaginable.

We may need to work on that, but I hope that debaters in general become
conversant enough in a subject matter to tell the "experts" when they
are wrong.

Debate judging is part of the problem: How long will the "you are right,
but they have a card" excuse last?

I hope no one uses similar reasoning in their daily decision making. We
got rid of the parts of Stock Issues that made no sense. Why do we
follow "argument from authority" to its extreme?

If a debater is right & an authority wrong, why do we keep rely on
authority?

-- JP

ps: I don't get this whole "The blog is without authors" argument.
Subscribe to the blog with an RSS feed & you'll see all the authors.