[eDebate] Sick Debaters, Travel, and Bid Applications

Darren Elliott delliott
Thu Sep 17 22:03:49 CDT 2009

Don't risk a Forced Choice by Administrators of Non-Competition for others and yourself down the road.  This issue is larger than you might think.  I sat in on a legislative session this week where illness and N1H1 was a hot topic.  University AD's and Officials are contacting each other (and being directed to) and putting in place contingency plans should an outbreak occur.  The contingency plan in KS would appear to be to cancel games, tournaments, and events to prevent outbreaks.  I'm sure KS is not the only State, and the MIAA, NAIA, and NCAA Big 12 are not the only conferences with this in mind.  No doubt this will trickle down to non-athletic events if Colleges and Universities shut their doors to prevent the sickness from getting out.  Not to sound alarm bells, but its high on the priority list of those making decisions above all of us.  Dont risk not only the health of yourself and others, but entire tournaments being shut down.

I think Sarah put it best, we should be more kind to ourselves and those around us than we have been in the past.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics
Kansas City Kansas Community College

From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com [edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com] On Behalf Of JP Lacy [lacyjp at wfu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:27 PM
To: Galloway, Ryan W.
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Sick Debaters, Travel, and Bid Applications

Wake misses competing at our tournament every year. So does every other
squad that hosts a "major" national tournament.

It is hard for debaters to give up an opportunity to compete. Many would
give an organ to clear at a tournament. We need to get better at showing
people that debate isn't worth hurting themselves or others over.

I agree with Ryan that we should "cut people some slack" if they miss a
tournament due to illness, injury or other contingencies.

After all, hosting schools get that "slack" every year.

-- JP