[eDebate] Sick Debaters, Travel, and Bid Applications

Steinberg, David L dave
Sun Sep 20 06:37:36 CDT 2009

a rant!

I am sitting in a classroom at Georgia State University at 7:15 am, my head pounding.

We left the hotel at 6:30.  Yesterday we began a little later, leaving at 7:00.  Cruel trick to start the second day earlier than the first.  And we live in this time zone.  For west coast people, it is 4:00 am.  I sacrificed my typical oatmeal and fruit breakfast for more sleep, a sugary donut instead.  After a long day with short breaks filled with round preparation (shoveled in some fast food during the 45 minutes we had for lunch) we completed our day and left the tournament around 8:45 pm, excellent by debate standards.  Selfishly, I took the team for a sit down meal, and then foolessly indulged in watching some of the Auburn football game on TV.  Self-indulgent, but it was Saturday night!  A mistake.  One beer with dinner.  I feel like I have smoked a carton of cigarettes (and I quit 12 years ago).  Another donut.

Sleep deprivation, poor food, cigarette smoke, no exercise.  OK, the high levels of mental/psychological stress reasonably go with the territory, but the physical stress is mostly unnecessary, its a choice we make in designing our activity.

And our students need to return to class and schoolwork on Monday or Tuesday, with substantially more pressure than other students who have not missed classes or sacrificed schoolwork time for debate work.

Are we concerned about the health of our participants?  Surprised when our immune systems do not fight off the flu?  I do not think so.

David L. Steinberg
Director of Debate, Lecturer in Communication Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248127
Coral Gables, FL  33124

FLW 3015