[eDebate] Paperless and judge philosophies

Glen Frappier gfrappier
Tue Sep 22 17:49:20 CDT 2009

Question - do the same judges who take prep time from teams who are trying
to go paperless  also penalize non paperless teams who can't find cards in a
timely manner to pass on to their opponents? I would say at least 5 minutes
per debate are lost transferring cards from one team to another and it is
rarely, if ever, taken out of anyones prep time. What about when someone
says "im ready" and then they tell their opponents that they need a couple
cards back. That generally takes as long as it does to jump the speech doc
so do you also take that out of a teams prep? What about when when we give
our oppoents the jump drive and it takes a while for them to open it due to
their own incompetence? Does that still come out of the paperless teams
prep?  What about teams who use paper but flow on the computer? If there is
a computer malfunction do you keep the clock running while they fix their
business?
I have very rarely seen anyone keep a true "running clock" in a debate round
and it seems strange that the standard is now being applied to teams who
have made the decision to go paperless.
There is learning curve to getting this paperless thing down. My teams did
it pretty well last weekend but i'm sure there is room for improvement.
We're not going paperless in order to get an advantage over anyone, we're
doing it to try and stretch our dollar and provide more opportunities for
our debaters. Surely thats a goal we all support and i'm afraid that those
who think they need to police a paperless teams prep closer than non
paperless teams are actively trying to discourage this move. You might hate
paperless but i hate that it costs twice as much for my teams to attend
national tournaments because we have to fly literally everywhere outside our
district. Walk a mile in our shoes and see if you wouldn't want to make this
shift.
I guess i just don't see paperless teams as taking anymore time than teams
who use paper and i think they are being unfairly persecuted. Rant over.
Paperless is awesome and its inevitable. Get used to it.