[eDebate] Paperless and judge philosophies

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Tue Sep 22 18:19:44 CDT 2009

some thoughts on the issues darren has raised (I couldn't find jason's
philosophy to respond to whatever his concerns are):

1. transfering data shouldn't take more than 40-50 seconds.
----if judges wanted, a 1 minute limit for transferring data (and not for
prep'ing in any way) would be very reasonable. I don't think it is fair nor
a good idea for judges to time transferring data from the get go. if you are
really going to do that, I'd ask those judges to time paper teams getting
files to the other team (and to time re-filing at the end of the debate)
----teams should do transfer drills--practice so they do it quickly.
----remember that at the end of the debate--the debaters are ready to go to
their next round pretty much right away instead of taking 15-20 minutes to
get their stuff refiled and then trudging with tubs and cart to their next
round. that is time saved for dave's doughnuts. :)

2. re laptops for the block
----the aff should give the files to the neg on TWO computers so both the
2nc and 1nr can prep

3. re netbooks
----if the screen is really small and I can totally understand this as an
issue
----netbooks are cheap but you can get $350-$550 totally useable laptops
(inspiron 15s; they have other types available too). at
dell:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/notebooks/ct.aspx?refid=notebooks&s=dfh&cs=22

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu