[eDebate] Paperless and judge philosophies

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Tue Sep 22 19:09:30 CDT 2009

If paperless is increasing the amount of time debates are taking, and *most*
judges are not counting this as prep, why not just increase prep time to
15-20 minutes?  This makes sure everyone gets the same amount of "down"
time, avoids controversies about what people are doing when speeches are
getting jumped/printed/shared, and incentivizes debaters to be more
efficient to save prep for more productive things.

If debaters become more efficient in the next month as a result of this,
prep time can be dialed back.

Also, as more and more teams go paperless, less time between rounds will be
needed for "movement," so even if prep is expanded the time can be offset
because less movement time will be needed.

Note -- This proposal doesn't make people more tired and get the the
swine/bird flu because the time is already being spent -- it just makes it
more equitable and incentivizes efficiency.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Director of Development & Operations, NFL National Tournament 2011

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283