[eDebate] Judging in the dark

Pacedebate at aol.com Pacedebate
Thu Sep 24 10:51:53 CDT 2009

CLEARER!

In a message dated 9/24/2009 1:24:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
stefan.bauschard at gmail.com writes:

This is  in no way an objection to paperless...

The neg gets the 1AC right  before the debate starts...they are ordinarily
asked not to read ahead...but  they can read along...the judge sits and
listens -- the best he or she  can...maybe yells "clearer" now and then...the
neg doesn't much care about  "clearer" because they are just reading...and
maybe quickly changing the small  sized font to get more context...

Then the 1NC goes...ditto...they get  it all...and are reading along...they
get that long CP text that spikes every  2AC answer and has a crafty
net-benefit..of course, the CP is read really fast  and the judge tries to sit
there and figure out what it does while the Aff is  reading every word and
integrating cards into their speech.doc.. c-x ensues  with everyone but the
judge having read the full text of (just about)  everything....

It seems to me that it is nearly impossible for the  judge to be as
clued-in to what all the arguments in the debate are/process  them as fast since
they are only getting the info orally and others are  getting to read it as it
goes...

I thought this was always somewhat of  a problem..debaters reading cards &
CP texts during the debate...with the  judge trying to figure it out
after..or at least getting more clued in later  when reading the evidence after the
debate rather than during...but with the  participants getting real-time
access to at least all evidence-based things  during the debate and the judge
not getting it until after it just seems  that  the debate is always going
to proceed wit the participants having a  much greater understanding of what
is going on than what the judge can provide  by looking at it after the
debate.

What do people think of debaters  also giving the judge a copy of the
speech before they start? It would clue  the judge in a lot faster.  Is it
unreasonable for a judge to ask for  this?  I still think judges should just flow
and not read along during  the speech since obviously the content of the
speech probably won't exactly  match the anticipated speech doc, but as a judge
I'd love to be able to  quickly read the CP while it was being discussed in
the c-x, maybe glance at  the link cards when the link was being discussed,
maybe look at an  un-underlined part of a card when someone tries to argue
that it says the  opposite of the underlined part, and maybe scan through
some of the cards  during prep time....

I don't think I'm alone in saying that when  judging a debate I like to
understand the arguments as much as possible when  the debate
progresses...paperless seems to create more judge darkness relative  to the debaters in terms
of understanding those arguments...immediately  sharing the doc would
reduce the darkness....and it would probably speed-up  post-round decision-making
since I'd have a "full" understanding of the  arguments during the debate
and would have all the ev I needed to look at  immediately available at the
end of the  debate.

Thoughts?

eDebate  mailing  list
eDebate at www.ndtceda.com