[eDebate] Judging in the dark

Sarah Spring spring.sarah
Thu Sep 24 13:42:25 CDT 2009

David and Stefan raise an interesting point - I think Stefan is
clearly correct that we are largely judging in the dark. Maybe its
just my personal lack of a perfect flow - but I often find myself in
the same position of not knowing what the page-long counterplan does
or how it competes - debaters largely forget to communicate this
clearly to the judge (although in the best debates this might not be
the case). The question becomes either should we push debaters to
communicate the material more effectively or should we try to access
the written material?

Secondly, does paperless make this worse or just highlight the
problems? I think a discussion about flowing I've been having with my
debaters also highlights this problem, a majority of the 2As on my
team don't flow the block - they rather just read the cards that are
read. While I find reading cards to be important - they aren't getting
what is said exactly. Regardless of the validity of this practice -
I've seen this symptom alot - debaters feel pressure to read all of
the cards in the debate and judges just listen - this creates a unique
imbalance in communication given that debaters have read all of the
cards, the judges have only listened to the arguments and boom then
the judges have to catch up and read a ton of cards at the end of the
debate. 2 hour decisions are probably another symptom of this problem.

  But is it paperless that causes this or perhaps our obsession with
evidence? I think its more likely that this problem has developed over
the last few decades and paperless now can give us a way to remedy
this imbalance - that is that the judge can now probably keep up with
the evidence in the debate, if we so choose. But - do we want this?
I'm not quite sure that I do. I agree that the oral communication of
debate is probably valuable - how do we save it? Just some interesting
and good questions that I'm not sure I have an answer to.

Sarah