[eDebate] Judging in the dark

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Thu Sep 24 18:00:50 CDT 2009

As I said, the judge wouldn't look at any portion of the speech doc until
after the speech was over.

This simply enables the judge to read cards & CP texts that they will (if
they chose) read after the debate during prep/cx/etc instead (or in addition
to).  Even when they read evidence after the debate (and more and more
judges read nearly all of it after the debate anyhow), they still have
to/ought to consider what the debaters said about it/how it was debated.
This is no different.

I'm sure that when judges started reading evidence after the debate people
argued that it would destroy orality and the activity. It didn't. It did
change it.   In some ways it would make it better (judges would understand
more of what was happening in the debate when the debate was happening) and
maybe in some ways it would make it worse (perhaps a little less emaphasis
on orality).
Ironically, I think, if judges actually understood the evidence as it was
being read, this wouldn't even be controversial because judges would gain
little from the reading. But, since they are often left in the dark/the
dusk, I don't see what the harm is to letting them read the evidence at
approximately the same time all the debaters in the debate get to read it
instead of an hour later.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Director of Development & Operations, NFL National Tournament 2011

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283